It Can’t Happen Here
A Radio Play
Presented in Partnership with Berkeley Repertory Theatre
Related Video Links
- Post-Show Q&A Discussion (Youtube Live) — Scheduled for 10/13 at 7/15 PT
- Roundabout Theatre Theatre Talk — Radio Play Discussion
National Community Conversations Event hosted by Roundabout Theatre
Register for the Zoom event below!
- It Can’t Happen Here Radio Play Program
- Letter from Berkeley Rep Artistic Director Johanna Pfaelzer
- Interview with It Can’t Happen Here co-writers and director
- A History of It Can’t Happen Here
- Study Guide
Click the description below each episode for a copy of the Radio Play Script!
Adapted to be presented as a radio play, Sinclair Lewis’ darkly satirical and oddly prescient 1935 novel follows the ascent of a demagogue who becomes president of the United States by promising to return the country to greatness. In 2016, Berkeley Rep unveiled its stage adaptation of Lewis’ It Can’t Happen Here; one week after the production ended, the presidential election roiled the nation.
For the radio play, Berkeley Rep will reprise this production with the same director and much of the original cast, adding Oscar-nominated actor David Strathairn (Good Night, and Good Luck) as protagonist—just in time for the 2020 presidential election. The audio drama is being offered free to organizations across the country, including Hammer Theatre Center, with the intent to encourage dialogue and motivate citizens to exercise their civic power.