About The Hammer
The Hammer Theatre, named after former San José Mayor Susan Hammer and her husband Phil Hammer, a San José Rep Board Trustee, was completed in 1997 via a collaboration between the San José Redevelopment Agency and San José Repertory Theatre Company. This distinctive theatre offered theatrical productions for over seven years for San José and Bay Area patrons and to national acclaim.
In March 2016, San José State University reopened the Hammer Theatre as a modern performance venue in the heart of downtown San José. The theatre serves San José’s community and the university through programming that features student, local, and international talent. The Hammer’s mission is to serve the community through works that illustrate the unique culture of creativity, diversity, and innovation in Silicon Valley.
Premiere San José State University music, theatre, dance, and guest speaker events.
- Live theatre and off-Broadway theatrical productions.
- Music from all around the world, including jazz, blues, reggae, country, and world music.
- Performances that connect arts, technology, and/or multi-media.
- National Geographic Live, Sundance Film Institute, and other educational lectures.
- Music, dance, and theatrical events related to the holiday season.
- Screening such as National Theatre Live, Stratford Festival, Westend Events.
- Various forms of dance performance.
Performance & Entertainment Venues
Main theatre with 532 seats and excellent sightlines
- Three seating sections
1) Orchestra: 158 seats + 4 wheelchair
2) Paterre: 201 seats
3) Balcony: 157 seats + 2 wheelchair
- Large state, including orchestra pit with 41′ Proscenium opening and 34′ Stage depth
- Orchestra pit can add 12′ depth at center 6′ at sides when used as thrust/apron
- State-of-the-art acoustic system, Constellation virtual audio shell, and up-to-date stage lighting
Black box performance space with up to 120 seats
- Meeting and reception space
- Available as rehearsal studio
Curtain Call Cafe Lounge
Ground floor space with a bar for special gathering
Mercury News Lounge
Second floor lounge with a bar for private parties
A versatile outdoor space with breathtaking sunset reception and parties
- Dressing rooms
- Bar/concessions area
- 2nd floor lobby
- Outside balconies.
Hammer Theatre Center, 101 Paseo de San Antonio, San Jose, CA 95113 Located between 2nd and 3rd St. in downtown San Jose.
Convenient parking available @ 2nd & San Carlos Garage $5 flat fee after 6 PM
Accessible by BART and VTA (2nd & Paseo De San Antonio exit is in front of the Hammer Theatre)