Here at the Hammer we strive to make our theatre feel like a second home for everyone who comes through our doors. Our stages host local, national, and international artists who perform everything from traditional drama, comedy, or musicals to innovative dance and performance arts, including a wide range of cultural theatre, music, and dance.
Since March of 2016, when the building reopened under the management of San José State University, our volunteers have served by welcoming and assisting patrons. Volunteers help patrons to their seats, distribute both electronic and physical programs, maintain our coat check counter, greet and answer patron questions and so much more!
Perks of volunteering include serving your community, cool Hammer gifts and swag, monthly info about upcoming shows and an invite to the annual volunteer appreciation event each summer.
If you would like to be a part of our Hammer volunteer corps submit your information here. Once you do we will notify you when upcoming Orientation dates are scheduled.
Please note: attending an orientation session is not a commitment by you or the Hammer Theatre that you will be able to serve as a volunteer at the Theatre. At Orientation, you will learn more about the volunteer role, as well as go over the details involved in completing the verification process.
- All ushers must be:
- 18 years or older
- Agree to follow SJSU staff health and safety protocols (View current protocols here: https://www.sjsu.edu/healthadvisories/health-safety-protocols/index.php)
- Attend a mandatory orientation once every year. (Orientation is generally offered in Aug/Sept and again in Jan/Feb.)
- To ensure an inclusive atmosphere, all reasonable accommodations will be made. Generally ushers will need to:
- Be on their feet for extended amounts of time
- Ascend and descend stairs
- See moderately well in low light settings
- Have a friendly and fun spirit!